Creating a Hybrid CD
I've found the
easiest way to make hybrid CDs on MacOS X is to:
- Create a CD sized disk image (using the Disk Utility)
- Mount/Attach/Open (choose your favourite verb) your fresh DMG
- Copy in your directory structure and all the files
- Set it up precisely how you want it to look under MacOS with
icons/backdrops/file placement etc.
- Execute the following command in a terminal window:
Take the ISO image and burn away.
hdiutil makehybrid -o <iso_filename> <dmg_filename>
This will quite happily create an ISO image with:
- HFS (MacOS) extensions
- Joliet (Windows) extensions
- RockRidge (UNIX) extensions
Meaning that it should work fine on virtually any platform...
Incidentally, the 'hdiutil' command-line utility is great - allows
you to do everything Disk Utility does and more. Anyone looking to do
CD/ISO/DVD image related work (and who hasn't done so already) should
definitely type 'man hdiutil' into a friendly terminal window :o)
Posted 9/5/2005 by Mark Waddingham to the Use Revolution List